Parenting is a challenging process, and many parents wonder at times whether they are doing the best for their child. Parent counselling and education are evidence-based approaches for helping parents to cope with a range of difficulties affecting their children.
If you are experiencing some of the following issues and they are causing you distress, parent counselling may help.
- Children refusing to follow instructions
- Not being sure how to communicate effectively with your child
- Trouble implementing routines
- Finding it hard to know what emotions your child is experiencing
- Feeling like you are in a "power struggle" with your child
- Strategies to manage behaviour are not working
Counselling can occur with one or both parents, and focuses on helping parents to learn ways to encourage positive behaviour, manage undesirable behaviour, and understand the emotional needs of their children.